Camping trips require careful planning and insurance that the group will have the basic supplies and tools to be able to tackle the great outdoors no matter what the weather.
And if you are planning to be camping during the colder months, these basic supplies must include a tent heater.
If your campsite doesn’t have electricity, a battery-powered tent heater sounds like a gift from the gods. However, do they even exist? And how can you get your hands on one?
This article will cover everything you need to know about battery powered tent heaters.
Do battery powered tent heaters exist?
Unfortunately, a large and portable tent heater that comes with an inbuilt battery does not exist, although the idea does seem highly plausible.
However, newer and more advanced batteries suitable for such a task are in constant development, where they are slowly becoming smaller with much more storage capacity. So it might mot be too long before we see this on the open market.
On the bright side, small individual battery-powered heaters do exist, and they can be used to heat small items such as gloves, boots, jackets, and blankets.
Can a battery really power a heater?
A battery can supply power to a small heating device, as mentioned above, and there are also a variety of portable car heaters available that use battery power. A 12-volt car battery can easily power your car heater, although it would drain a lot of the charge in just a few hours.
Batteries create heat by using electric resistance heating. In this concept, the battery goes through a heating element with a high resistance, which then resists the flow of electricity and heats up in the process.
Why are standard batteries not a good power source for a tent heater?
Standard portable batteries have an inadequate energy density, which makes them highly unsuitable for heating. For instance, a 75-gram stick is likely to give you more heat energy than a conventional 26800 mAH battery.
Also, as the temperatures get lower, your battery loses its capacity, which in turn lowers its performance. This means it will supply power for a shorter time, which reduces its efficiency.
What to consider before buying a battery-powered tent heater
There are a couple of factors you need to look out for as you choose your heater:
- Length of heat after a battery charge: A heater that runs for longer after a full charge would give you more value for your money.
- Built-in safety measures: Safety should always come first. Automatic tip-over protection, overheat protection and a shutoff timer are some of the features you should consider.
- Heating and temperature level choices: Not all battery-powered heaters come with the option of changing the heat levels, and finding one that does would go a long way in making you more comfortable.
- The versatility of the heater: If the heater can serve other purposes like a hand warmer or a car heater, it has more value to you.
- Manufacturer repair and return policies, and customer service.
- Inclusion of an adapter/ power cord: If the heater comes with a cord and other accessories like a storage pouch or a lanyard, it would be wise to consider it as this saves you money.
- User manual and instructions.
- Reviews: Positive online reviews from verified buyers and experts should also be considered as you make this choice.
What are some great alternatives?
As mentioned above and currently as off writing this, unfortunately there is not a battery powered heater that is suitable to sufficiently heat a tent in cold weather.
However there are a few great alternatives:
01 – Lasko 754200 ceramic portable heater
Product Dimensions – 1x1x1 inches | Weight – 56 ounces | Material – metal casing, ceramic heating elements| Overheat Protection – Yes | Portable – Yes | Low Noise Level – yes| Wattage – 1500 watts | Thermostat – Yes | Automatic Shut-off – Yes
No products found.
This compact heater has a convenient carry handle that lets you move it to any point in your tent. It has a heating coverage of 300 square feet, an impressive area considering its small size. This heater also has 3 quiet settings, high, low, and fan only. This makes the heater suitable for use in all seasons.
The thermostat has 11 different temperature settings, and you are sure to find a comfortable setting. In addition, the unit has numerous safety features that make it safe for use around children and pets. The heater has an internal overheat protection feature, and the exterior is cool to touch even when the heater is set on high.
- The thermostat has numerous temperature settings, and you can find comfort at any level.
- The heater has multiple security features, making it safe for use around the campsite.
- The heater has a 6-foot long power cord, which lets you conveniently place it.
- The heater lacks an automatic tip-over shutoff mechanism.
- Like most heaters, it cannot be used in wet and humid environments.
02 – Brightown 750W/100W ceramic space heater
Product Dimensions – 6.2x7x9.2 inches | Weight – 51.2 ounces | Material – flame retardant casing, ceramic heating elements| Overheat Protection – Yes | Portable – Yes | Low Noise Level – yes| Wattage – 1500 watts | Thermostat – Yes | Automatic Shut-off – Yes
This heater is ETL listed, which means it is in compliance with national standards and it meets the minimum requirements needed for sale. Its sturdy built-in handle, small size, and lightweight make it conveniently portable. This heater uses safe ceramic elements for heating which provides comfortable warming. Another feature that makes using the product more comfortable is the thermostat, which lets you choose the level from 0°F-158°F. If the internal temperature of the heater exceeds this, the automatic shutoff is triggered. Other safety features that come with the automatic tip-over protection feature and the fire retardant exterior.
This heater has a noise level lower than 45dB, which is the sound level of a quiet library and you can get your work done with the heater running.
Another feature of this heater is that it comes with a 6-foot long lead cord and a 2 prong connection.
- The heater rotates at 45 degrees, and this lets it dissipate heat in all directions.
- The exterior is made out of durable and same materials.
- This unit is energy efficient, but it still provides enough heat.
- Some users complained that the heater had a burning plastic smell when it was left on for long.
03 – Trustech portable space heater
Product Dimensions – 6.5×5.7×7.9 inches | Weight – 59.2 ounces | Material – plastic casing, ceramic heating elements| Overheat Protection – Yes | Portable – Yes | Low Noise Level – yes| Wattage – 1500 watts | Thermostat – Yes | Automatic Shut-off – Yes
No products found.
This heater would make a good addition to your camping gear if you’re looking to stay warm and comfortable during your trip. The heater has an adjustable thermostat that ranges from 59 to 86°F. The heater has a digital display that lets you easily read the heater’s working status.
Some of the safety features that come with the heater are an overheat protector and a tip-over switch at the bottom of the heater. There is also a 12-hour shutoff timer, and you can comfortably go to bed knowing the heater will go off after the set time. Aside from the metal mesh, the heater’s exterior remains cool, which reduces the risk of getting burnt.
Trustech, the manufacturer, also offers a 1-year warranty and a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
- The digital display lets you look at the heater’s working status easily.
- The heater has a 12-hour timer, which lets you rest without worrying about the heater overheating.
- The unit has an 80° oscillation function that lets it heat the room all round.
- You can only increase the heater’s temperature setting one degree at a time, which makes it slow and cumbersome to use.
04 – Lasko 100 MyHeat ceramic heater
Product Dimensions – 6.1×4.3×3.8 inches | Weight – 16 ounces | Material – plastic casing, ceramic heating elements| Overheat Protection – Yes | Portable – Yes | Low Noise Level – yes| Wattage – 200 watts | Thermostat – No | Automatic Shut-off – Yes
- ✅【KEEPS YOU WARM AT WORK】At 200-Watts and 682 BTUs, this low wattage mini space heater is ideal for use under the desk to keep your feet and legs warm. Best of all, because it’s low wattage, it won’t keep tripping the office circuit breaker every time you turn it on
- ✅【YOUR PERSONAL SPACE HEATER】At 6 inches tall with a 4” x 4” footprint, this cute, small electric heater takes up minimal desktop space and is intended to heat up your immediate space at home or the office. Designed to warm you, not a room. For that, we recommend getting a Lasko 1500-Watt tower heater
- ✅【EASY TO USE】No assembly required. Simply take it out of the box and plug it in to a standard 120v wall outlet. This energy-efficient, indoor ceramic heater draws about 2 amps and turns on with a flip of a switch. Compact and portable, MyHeat comes with a 6-foot cord and a 2-pronged plug. It’s also easily stored when not in use
- ✅【YEAR ROUND USE】Tired of always being cold at work in the winter? Is your cube right under the AC vent in the summer? If this sounds familiar, then this little heater is just what you need to keep you comfortable year-round. Produces a quiet, white noise that won’t disrupt your co-workers. MyHeat is available in 4 fun colors (black, white, blue, and purple) and makes for a great gift
At 200 W, this low wattage heater has a power of 682 BTU. This low wattage makes it ideal for use with a battery for a long time, and it saves on your energy bill if you choose to power it with electricity. The heater is tiny and it takes little space since it was designed to heat your immediate space. Its compact size also makes it easily portable and convenient for camping trips.
This product has amazing safety features, like the automatic shutoff feature. The on/off switch also has a light that indicates when the heater is on. The unit is ETL listed and the ceramic heating element keeps the exterior cool to the touch.
- The unit is light and portable with a space-efficient design.
- This heater has a low, budget-friendly power rating.
- Despite its small size, the heater provides quick heating and effective distribution of heat.
- It has a self-regulating heating system that keeps the heat within its case, keeping the exterior cold.
- The heater doesn’t have an automatic tip-over shutoff system.
- This unit doesn’t have a thermostat which reads the room’s ambient temperature.
- The heater’s small size and low power rating make it so that it can’t heat a large area.
05 – FFDDY Space heater
Product Dimensions – 6.3×6.3×9.85 inches | Weight – 38.4 ounces | Material – plastic casing, ceramic heating elements| Overheat Protection – Yes | Portable – Yes | Low Noise Level – yes| Wattage – 1,500 watts | Thermostat – Yes | Automatic Shut-off – Yes
No products found.
This heater was built in an easy to carry and aesthetically appealing design. It is made of ceramic heating elements which give the advantages of fast heating, high heat conversion rate and energy-saving. 2 seconds into turning it on, you can feel the warm air in the room.
This unit also has an adjustable thermostat and 3 heating levels that you can choose from for your maximum comfort. One of the levels is a natural wind state, that operates as a fan. This heater also has amazing heat distribution, since it has a 120-degree wide angle.
Automatic overheat protection, tip-over shutoff switch and a flame-resistant outer casing provide additional safety and prevent accidents from happening.
- The heater is almost noiseless. At its maximum heat setting, its noise level is 50 dB, which will not interrupt your sleep.
- There is a sleep level mute feature, which reduces the noise generated by the cutting air of the blades by bending the shape of the blades. This reduces the noise level down to 40dB.
- Although the heater generates an impressive amount of heat, it does not consume a lot of power.
- There is an oscillation setting, which improves on the heater’s distribution property.
- The power cord is 4 feet long, which doesn’t give you a lot of freedom to choose where to put it.
- The unit does not have a timer.
06 – AmazonBasics 500-Watt ceramic personal heater
Product Dimensions – 5.87×3.2×6 inches | Weight – 22.88 ounces | Material – plastic casing, ceramic heating elements| Overheat Protection – No | Portable – Yes | Low Noise Level – yes| Wattage – 500 watts | Thermostat –No | Automatic Shut-off – No
- Compact personal space heater in Black; small enough for tables or desktops
- 500 watts of power; efficient ceramic coils heat up in seconds
- Tip-over protection for extra safety
- Product Dimensions: 3.4 x 5.8 x 6 inches (LxWxH)
This product was designed by Amazon to provide you with the heat you might need as you camp out, thanks to its fun-sized design. Another good feature of this product is its low wattage, which lets it efficiently utilize a small amount of energy while giving out useful amounts of heat.
The unit is available in four colors, black, blue, pink, and white. You can choose a color that pleases your eye or one that matches your home decor.
This product has safety features like its sturdy base and tip-over protection.
- The heater comes in many colors, giving you alternatives to choose from.
- This unit has a really low sound rating, and you can sleep or get work done without a constant hum bothering you.
- The effects of the heater can be felt a few seconds after you turn it on.
- It is energy efficient. The unit has a low wattage and it generates enough heat, so little energy is wasted.
- This unit lacks a lot of safety features, like overheat protection and automatic shutoff.
- There is no thermostat in the unit, so there is no way for you to set a threshold temperature for your heater to go off.
- Some customers complained that the unit gave out a strong chemical smell even after multiple uses.
- This product doesn’t have a shutoff timer.
As you can see, most of these heaters are small, compact and lightweight, which makes them ideal for a camping expedition.
That being said, the Trustech Portable space heater stands out from the rest for several reasons. This unit has lots of safety features, including a shutoff timer. It also comes with a digital display screen and an interesting 80-degree oscillation feature.